Western culture is in a mess. Anarchy in the streets, apostasy in the church, antagonism in the culture, anger in the electorate, apathy in the leadership. All of these seem to be evidence that God has given us over to ourselves in a Romans 1:24 type of divine judgment. And if we are under God’s judgment, the solution is not political, environmental, financial, militaristic, technological, scientific, medical or anything else we can name. There is only one solution. And it’s prayer. It’s time to pray!
READ 2 CHRONICLES 6:12-21
2 Chronicles 6:12-13
- Who was Solomon? See 1 Chronicles 29:26-28 and 2 Chronicles 1:1-12.
- Describe Solomon’s greatness from 1 Kings 3:5-15; 4:29-30; 2 Chronicles 9:1-11, 22.
- Give the phrase in 2 Chronicles 6:13 that describes the way Solomon, as the greatest leader in the world of his day, approached God.
- What was Daniel’s attitude as he interceded for his people in Daniel 9:3-7?
- Give phrases from the following verses that underscore the necessity of humility if we truly want our prayers to be heard and answered: 1 Kings 21:25-29; 2 Kings 22:18-20; 2 Chronicles 33:10-13; Daniel 10:12; and James 4:6.
- Give phrases from the following verses that indicate effective prayer for a nation requires personal humility: 2 Chronicles 7:14; 12:5-7; 36:11-17; Daniel 5:22-23, 30-31; and Isaiah 66:1-2.
- What is your attitude as you pray for our nation?
- Based on the above verses, how important is it to pray with humility if we truly want our prayers to move Heaven and change our nation? Psalm 51:15-17; Joel 2:12-14; and Luke 18:9-14.
2 Chronicles 6:14-15
- On what was Solomon’s certainty in prayer based? See 2 Chronicles 6:14-15.
- What was Daniel certain of as he prayed? See Daniel 9:4, 7, 9 and 15.
- In Matthew 6:9-10, how did Jesus teach His disciples to begin their prayers?
- When Paul prayed, on what was he confident, and how did that affect his prayer in Ephesians 3:16-21?
- How are we invited to approach God? Read Ephesians 3:12; Hebrews 4:16; 10:19-23; and 1 John 5:14-15.
- What is another way to describe certainty or confidence in prayer? See Hebrews 11:1.
- How important is certainty in prayer? Consider Matthew 21:22; Hebrews 11:6; 10:35-39; and James 5:15-18.
- If you lack certainty when you pray, would you refocus on who God is? Write down one of His character traits with a Scripture reference for each letter of the alphabet. Then wrap your faith in prayer around Him.
Decision America Tour
Will you stand with Franklin Graham as he proclaims the Good News in all 50 states and challenges Christians to live out their faith?
2 Chronicles 6:16-17
- From each of the following examples, who was praying and what was the basis for their prayers?2 Chronicles 6:16-17; Genesis 32:9-12; Daniel 9:1-3; Acts 4:23-31.
- What is the basis for praying with authority? See Jeremiah 1:12; Isaiah 55:10-11; and Matthew 24:35.
- Do your prayers lack authority in Heaven because they are based on your wants or wishes? Desires or dreams? What others say or pray? What are your prayers based on?
- Ask God to give you a specific promise from His Word for our nation. Write it out here, with the reference.
- Would you pray with authority as you hold God to His promise and pray His Word back to Him?
2 Chronicles 6:18-21
- What did Solomon pray for? 2 Chronicles 6:18-21, 24-25, 26-27, 36-39.
- List the things Daniel prayed for in Daniel 9:15-19.
- Relate each of Solomon and Daniel’s requests to your prayer for our nation.
- Write out what you are asking God to do for America so that you are clear.
- How important is it to pray for our nation? Consider Ezekiel 36:37 and Mark 6:47-52.
- When did Daniel receive clarity in prayer for his people? See Daniel 9:20-22.
- If we lack clarity in prayer, what should we do, according to Romans 8:26-27; Philippians 4:6-7 and James 1:5?
- When is it time to pray? See 1 Peter 4:7; James 5:13-15; 1 Thessalonians 3:10; 5:16-18; Colossians 1:9; 4:2; and Ephesians 6:18.
- In 2 Chronicles 7:1, how did God respond to Solomon’s prayer?
When nations rage and the people plot …
When the kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord …
When the foundations of our faith are being destroyed …
… What can the righteous do?
We can pray!
Pray for the church to wake up!
Pray for deep repentance of sin.
Pray for a desperate urgency to get right with God.
Pray for the revival of the hearts of God’s people.
Pray for the Gospel to be preached with boldness and power.
Pray for a holy fear of God to fall on our nation.
Pray for the salvation of those coming under God’s judgment.
Pray with humility—a broken, contrite heart.
Pray with certainty—focused on who God is.
Pray with authority—holding God to His Word.
Pray with clarity—insight and understanding.
It’s time to pray! Now! D ©2016 Anne Graham Lotz
Anne Graham Lotz has proclaimed God’s Word worldwide for more than 30 years. Her next book, The Daniel Prayer, will be released in May and is available for pre-order at major booksellers.