As I go out to battle against the unseen enemy, I am learning the power of praise. Because praise is one of our most effective spiritual weapons, it can help us break through enemy lines and experience victory.
I can testify that although my circumstances may not change, praise changes my attitude and perspective. Praise strengthens my spirit and brings peace that quiets my heart.
I. The Blessing
- What was the blessing found in 2 Chronicles 19:4 that preceded the battle in 20:1?
- What was the blessing in Matthew 3:13-17 that preceded the attack on Jesus in Matthew 4:1-11?
- Skim through John 9. What was the blessing that preceded the attack on the man who had been born blind?
- What was the blessing that preceded the attack on the leaders of the early church? See Acts 3:1-26 with Acts 4:1-3.
- Looking back on the recent past, what attack have you experienced that followed a blessing?
- What can we learn from this pattern? See Ephesians 6:18.
II. The Battle
- Describe the attack in 2 Chronicles 20:1-2.
- How did King Jehoshaphat react?
- On what promise of God did Jehoshaphat base his prayer? Compare 2 Chronicles 20:6-9 with 2 Chronicles 7:13-15.
- When have you been attacked physically? Emotionally? Relationally? Spiritually? Mentally?
- How have you reacted?
- Which of the following promises could you claim to base your prayer of faith on? Psalm 27:5; 46:1-11; 100:5; Isaiah 40:29-31; Hebrews 13:5-6; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; Romans 8:28, 31-39; Hebrews 10:35-39.
III. The Banner
- What challenge did Jehoshaphat give to his people? Put the passage from 2 Chronicles 20:20 into your own words.
- What unique instructions did Jehoshaphat give, and what was the result, in 2 Chronicles 20:21-22?
- Relate Psalm 60:4 to the king’s strategy against the enemy.
- See Isaiah 11:10. Who is our Banner?
- When you are under attack, how can you raise the Banner? What will you do to incorporate praise in your strategy to overcome the enemy?
Fill in the blanks:
- I praise the Lord for who He is_________.
- I praise the Lord for what He has done__________.
- I praise the Lord for what He is and will do__________.
- Next time you feel you can’t take one more sleepless night, one more disappointment, one more painful procedure, one more slanderous lie, one more hurtful rejection, one more_________, lift high the Banner of His Name. There is power in praise!
Is it possible that God is wanting to give you a breakthrough in 2023, but He is waiting for you to lift up the Banner of His Name? Start praising Him now. And keep on praising Him until you have victory. ©2022 Anne Graham Lotz
Anne Graham Lotz has proclaimed God’s Word worldwide for more than 40 years. Her newest book, which she co-authored with her daughter Rachel-Ruth Wright, is “Jesus Followers: Real-Life Lessons for Igniting Faith in the Next Generation.” It is available from major booksellers online.
Photo: Logan Ryan/©2022 BGEA